A good exfoliation scrub is an integral part of an ideal beauty routine. Daily, our skin is put to the test by stress, pollution or perhaps a poor life hygiene. To make one’s own face scrub is simple and allows you to use ingredients that are 100% natural.
It can do all of the following:
- Cleanse the skin deep down,
- Eliminate dead surface cells,
- Tighten the pores of the skin and reduce imperfections,
- Favour skin renewal,
- Refine the skin texture,
- and give you back a great complexion.
✅ it is an important skin care that allows also a better penetration of the face cream or vegetable oil that you may use thereafter.
The basic recipe:
- sugar or baking soda. Baking soda has the finest grains and is therefore better suited for a facial scrub. Sugar is more suited for a body scrub.
- One VO: by choosing your oils carefully, the scrub can be nourishing, hydrating, healing or anti-infectious.
- One EO (not compulsory but very much advised), that’s all!
- 1 tbl spoon of sugar (for the body) or 1 tbl spoon of baking soda (for the face)
- 4 tbl spoon of VO
- 3 to 4 drops of EO maximum.
You have now the basis of a good scrub. To prepare a more unctuous scrub, you need to open your pantry:
- 2 tbl spoon of coffee grinds: stimulating effect that will improve blood circulation of the epidermis, it is the great ally to fight agains cellulite.
- 1 tbl spoon of powdered cinnamon for its anti-oxidant and antiseptic properties. It will brighten the complexion.
- 1 tbl spoon, or more, of honey, nice and liquid for its softness: it will favour cellular regeneration (healing scars) and help fight ageing of the skin
- Yoghurt, fresh and velvety
Search through your collection of essential oils.
- For normal skins: ylang-ylang, geranium, rose essence or chamomile
- For mixed skins: bergamot, rosemary or lavender.
- Oily skins will prefer lemon, patchouli, cedarwood, juniper or sandalwood.
- For sensitive skins, neroli oil, or rose or sandalwood would be the best.
Why use sugar?
Sugar produces glycolic acid which favours the elimination of dead cells, stimulates cellular activity and improves skin hydration. Sugar acts as an mechanical and chemical exfoliant.
Which vegetable oil to choose?
For your VO, you can use any of the following:
–argan, anti-oxidant and healing,
–apricot kernel, anti-ageing and tonic,
-olive oil, nourishes, softens and avoids skin dehydration,
-sweet almond, hydrating.
How to prepare your scrub?
- Mix all dry ingredients (sugar, coffee, etc.) in the most homogenous way possible.
- Mix the VOs (or the honey) with the essential oil in the bowl.
- Once well mixed, incorporate the mixture of VO to the dry ingredients with a spoon and slowly mix together.
When to use a scrub
It is recommended to do a scrub at night, and not in the morning because the skin is then too sensitive.
A scrub should always be done before:
- a mask
- applying a cream or a skin lotion
- epilation: it allows to remove the thin layer of dead skin that convers the epidermis. This is why, if you do not exfoliate regularly your skin, some hair will grow back under the epidermis. A scrub will facilitate the passage of hair through the skin during the re-growth. Furthermore, the wax will stick better after a scrub.
How to use a scrub?
Once prepared, the scrub is applied to wet skin.
For the body, you can do it under the shower, it is the easiest way. Start with the lower body, then go up to the chest with circular movements. A complete body scrub takes between 5 to 10 minutes – no more.
For the face, start inside and move outwards. When completed, rinse with tepid water.
✅ beware not to rub too hard to avoid a skin rash or skin peeling. If you rub for more than a minute, your skin could become inflamed and sensitive, so do not go over 1 minute.
✅ do not go near the eyes with the mixture.
✅ avoid also fragile areas such as moles, private parts, eye contour or sunburn.
How often should I do it?
Although scrubs are recommended before the application of a hydrating cream, one should not abuse them in order to avoid aggressing your skin.
Your skin is:
- oily: you can exfoliate once or twice a week.
- Normal or mixed: ideally once a week
- Sensitive skin: do not exceed two scrubs a month.
Important: to be done after a scrub
A scrub should always be followed by the application of a cream or a VO that will protect the skin.
To be used once or twice a month.
*Soft and regenerating skin scrub with lavender
It will allow for the regeneration of a skin that tends to slow down with age and will return a glow to the complexion. Can be used with all types of skin – maximum 1 minute.
True lavender EO: refreshing, healing and regenerating skin properties
- 1 tbl spoon of sugar or baking soda for the face,
- 3 tbl spoon of VO (sweet almond, hazelnut or apricot kernel),
- 4 drops of true lavender EO (or officinalis).
*scrub against imperfections
This scrub allows to cleanse the pores in depth and fight imperfections.
Tea tree EO: disinfectant and soothing properties
- 1 tbl spoon of honey (Manuka honey preferably),
- 2 tbl spoon of sugar or baking soda (face),
- 2 drops of tea tree EO
⛔️ tea tree essential oil in not recommended during the first 3 months of pregnancy.