Have you noticed that the trees have begun shedding their leaves? Winter is slowly coming and we… lose our hair! The reasons may vary and are numerous: stress, tiredness, hormonal imbalance…; tobacco, air pollution or too much sun in summer may all contribute to hair loss. Looking at figures:
- On average, we all lose between 50 and 100 hair a day
- The life-cycle of one hair is about 8 years
Affecting women as well as men, hair loss can be local or widespread. Either way, a few simple and natural habits will reduce the loss and is a risk-free daily routine…
EO= Essential Oil // VO = Vegetable Oil
Essential Oils in your shampoo
Shampoo becomes a care product if we add a few EO that stimulate the micro-circulation or tone the capillary fibre. Here are the anti-loss EO:
GRAPEFRUIT: TO SANITIZE AND TONE THE SCALP
- antifungal: purifies the scalp (Hair loss can be the result of mycosis)
- detoxifying: to have a healthy environment, favourable to hair growth, ridding the scalp of all impurities that can accumulate and stifle hair.
- Diuretic and draining: favourable for the elimination of toxins and therefore sanitizing for the scalp.
- anti-oxidant: ensures a favourable environment for good hair growth.
Grapefruit EO regulates sebum production of the scalp.
- In dilution at 1 – 2 %in a VO. Massage the scalp with this oily mixture and let it rest for 1 to 2 hours.
- In your shampoo or scalp mask: 1 drop of Grapefruit EO for 50 ml of shampoo.
GINGER BRINGS BACK STRENGTH AND SHINE
Ginger EO is a scalp tonic, it stimulates hair growth.
- anti-infectious and anti-oxidant: strengthens hair deep down giving back vitality and shine (hair loss can be due simply to a lack of tone and too much oxidation).
- Regenerating and hair toner: stimulates hair follicles (root of the hair) and therefore hair growth.
- In dilution at 0.5 – 2 %in a VO. Massage the scalp with this oily mixture and let it rest for 1 to 2 hours.
- In your shampoo or scalp mask: 1 to 3 drops of Ginger EO for 50 ml of shampoo.
CAJUPUT, THE ONE TO REMEMBER TO AVOID HAIR LOSS
- antifungal: Hair loss can be the result of mycosis
- astringent and skin tonic, it firms the skin and tightens the pores
- vasodilatory, stimulates blood circulation at scalp level thus favouring hair growth and limits hair loss.
- detoxifying: sanitizes the scalp, preventing hair loss
GERANIUM ROSAT FAVOURISES GROWTH
- astringent toner: it tightens skin tissues allowing to limit the amount of hair loss.
- Vasodilatory, stimulates blood circulation at scalp level thus favouring hair regrowth and healthy hair. Healthy hair well-nourished will grow better and fall less.
- antifungal: Hair loss can be the result of mycosis at scalp level
- Vasodilatory, stimulates micro-circulation at scalp level. It is one of the most effective EO.
- Tonic: tones hair roots. Be aware that it may have a tendency to dry. Do not use on fragile or dry hair. It is forbidden during pregnancy
It is also useful for the treatment of oily hair.
- In dilution at 1 – 2 % in a VO. Massage the scalp with this oily mixture and let it rest for 1 to 2 hours.
- In your shampoo or scalp mask: add 2 drops of Cedar EO for one dose of shampoo (for normal or oily hair).
MIXTURES OF ESSENTIAL OILS (Dominique Baudoux)
- 5 drops of Cajuput EO
- 10 drops of Geranium rosat EO
- 10 drops of Grapefruit EO (or Mandarin zest)
- 5 drops of Ginger EO
3 drops of this mixture in your dose of shampoo.
How to apply: massage the scalp and let it rest for 2 to 3 minutes then rinse abundantly.
FOR WHOM: Adults and teenagers and children over 6 years old.
Forbidden for pregnant and breastfeeding women and for children under 6 years of age.
1) Massage the scalp thoroughly
Massage stimulates micro-circulation at the level of the roots and allows the “hooking” of the hair, adding vitality and hair growth.
2) Chose a shampoo free of sulphates
Most commercial shampoo contain sulphates that are surfactant and there only to add a pleasant lather to the shampoo but not really cleaning effectively. Used regularly these shampoos may irritate the scalp.
Ingredients to avoid: Sodium laureth sulphate, SLES, -sulphate(s) et Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate. The ingredient Sodium Lauryl Sulpho-acetate is less aggressive and less polluting than the first 2.
3) Chose a shampoo free of silicone
Silicones too are often found in shampoos and other hair products. These are plastic products that end up “smothering” and devitalising the scalp. It can no longer breathe properly and its natural secretions are perturbed (sebum).
Ingredients to avoid: dimethicone, et all those ending in –one or –oxane.
4) Food supplements can be useful
An important hair loss can also be the result of a lack of vitamins, and iron… Food supplements containing zinc, iron, manganese, essential amino acids and vitamins A, E and B are the most effective.