It is the season of celebrations. A night with plenty to drink and… the next morning when you wake up, it’s a catastrophe: feeling tired, nauseous, nasty headache. Hangover is here… Time to act!
Why do we experience a hangover?
A hangover appears about 6 to 8 hours after an excessive consumption of alcohol, when the body has already eliminated a large quantity of the alcohol imbibed. Symptoms are the strongest when the alcohol level in the blood is close to 0. Stomach burns, nausea, vomiting, headaches, problems with paying attention, a general feeling of weakness and an overwhelming tiredness is what we feel as a result of a lack of water in our organism, needed to eliminate the alcohol.
Against nausea: Peppermint EO
It is fairly common to feel nauseous the day after a party: too much to drink, too much to eat…
To help you: Peppermint EO will help you getting rid of the discomfort and the previous night will only be a happy memory.
Tonic and stimulating action: menthol (between 30 and 55%) stimulates the cardiac muscle and aids concentration and vigilance.
Local analgesic: monoterpenes found in Peppermint EO act as a local analgesic that has an effect on muscular pain, knocks, neuralgia and headaches. They have a light anaesthetic effect on the stomach mucous, helping in the prevention of nausea and vomiting.
Cholagogue and choleretic: menthone, another monoterpene (between 12 and 32%) is an efficient chologogue and choleretic. The molecules facilitate bile secretion by the liver and its evacuation towards the intestine.
By ingestion: place one drop of pure Peppermint EO under the tongue, up to 3 times a day or on a sugar cube, letting it melt slowly in the mouth.
By dermal route: massage one drop of pure Peppermint EO on your temples (far from the eyes), up to 3 times a day or apply a compress dipped in cold water on which you have poured a few drops of Peppermint EO to your forehead and temples.
By diffusion: pour a few drops of Peppermint EO on some cotton wool and let it diffuse slowly in the room where you are, or use a nebulising diffuser (do not go over 20 minutes of diffusion so as to avoid saturation of the atmosphere).
Precaution for use: Peppermint EO taken by oral route is only for adults or children over the age of twelve. Pregnant women should not use it.
Basil EO against bloating
Very often, eating excesses create digestive problems such as bloating. Basil EO can help you.
Beware that it is a powerful EO and must therefore be used parsimoniously.
Usage advice: massage the abdomen with a mixture of 2 drops of Basil EO in 50 ml of VO (olive, almond, etc) or mix 1 drop of Basil EO with some olive oil and place it under your tongue
To assist difficult digestion and stomach ache: Basil EO, Ginger EO and Peppermint EO
Very often, after numerous big meals, well ‘watered’ (with alcohol), the digestive system is a little perturbed: slow digestion, constipation, spasms and intestinal pain…
A mixture of 3 EO applied locally weakens the effect of these problems:
In a bottle of 30ml, pour 30 drops of Basil EO + 30 drops of Ginger EO + 30 drops of Peppermint EO, complete it with Macadamia VO.
Usage advice: Apply a small amount of this mixture on the abdomen and massage clockwise two or three times a day.
Precaution for use: this preparation is only for adults and not advised for pregnant women.
Lemon EO and Verbenone Rosemary EO to help your liver recover
To drain the liver after it has been working hard during those well ‘watered’ evenings
Usage advice: pour 2 drops of Rosemary or Lemon EO on a sugar cube or in a teaspoon of honey or olive oil.
Hangover: 16 additional suggestions
Anti-hangover remedy before drinking
- One teaspoon of olive oil or fatty food before you start drinking (especially if you are not used to it or if you are not very tolerant to large amounts of alcohol): the oil will slow down the effect of alcohol and avoid its brutal diffusion in the blood.
- Drink a lot of water and fruit juice (fructose is a natural sugar that will help you eliminate alcohol)
- Avoid mixing drinks (migraine assured the next day). Favour champagne as a pre-dinner drink rather than at the end of a meal. If you are to drink several types of wine, start with white, then follow it by red.
- Avoid cocktails with soda or fizzy drinks, those small bubbles accelerate the effects of alcohol.
Hangover, headache and heartache, eat
5. Honey (for breakfast the next day, as the fructose contained in the honey will contribute in eliminating alcohol)
6. Wholemeal rice, bread, pasta
7. Chew caraway seeds, fennel seeds or cardamom seeds (or a mixture of all three) to avoid nausea
To soothe a tired liver, drink all day in small mouthfuls
8. Lemon in infusion: pour boiling water in a cup on half an organically grown lemon, well washed and sliced. Leave to infuse for 8 minutes. Drink it tepid and add a teaspoon of honey.
9. Coca-cola with lemon juice
10. Green tea
11.Soda bicarbonate: it is known to neutralise acids in the entire digestive sphere and assist digestion. It is also very effective against heartburn, giving instant relief.
How should you take bicarbonate?
Dilute a teaspoon of bicarbonate in a glass of tepid water and stir well.
Drink it slowly (no more than twice a day)
12. Liquorice (as a tea or in a stick): healing and anti-inflammatory, it increases the secretion of gastric mucous, thus diluting the stomach’s acid content and reduce heartburn. Can also be used to prevent stomach ulcers.
13. Clay compress: Apply on the forehead and temples a poultice of cold clay, then an hour later a poultice of warm clay (heated only in a bowl, on a radiator or a heat source). Clay must not be cooked.
Recipe for a clay poultice
Pour dry clay in a bowl and dilute it with water. Leave it to rest for an hour protected under a cloth. Then, with a wooden spatula, place a small amount of clay in a natural fibre cloth, or in a cabbage leave, in a thickness of about 1 to 2 cm (if the paste is too thick add some water; if it is too liquid add some clay). As soon as the clay has hardened, renew the poultice.
14. Lemon: Apply on the temples a few lemon slices
To fight a hangover and wobbly legs
15.Take a shower or several showers: A cold shower followed by a warm shower will clear your head.
16. Peace and calm: rest in!